Supporting our community!
Our members volunteer countless thousands of hours to keep our Branch alive so we may continue to offer programs and services to our veterans, and support for our community.
From our dedicated executive members, who look after every aspect of daily operations, to our rank and file members who dive in to help with fundraising events, social and sports events, youth activities, kitchen and banquets, and so much more! Its these folks who are the very heart and soul of our Legion Branch, and we could never succeed in our mission without them!
THE POPPY TRUST FUND
Barrie Legion Branch 147 plays an important role in supporting the Community through the Poppy Trust Fund. Each year in late October running until Nov. 11 (Remembrance Day) we campaign in Barrie in support of Canadian Veterans. Through the Poppy Campaign, we, and you, are making a difference in our community...evry day!
* We provide financial support for Programs and Services for Veterans & their Families.
* We donate thousands to assist our hospital, our senior citizen homes and many non-profit groups.
* We support youth education through financial awards for poster, literary, and public speaking competitions
* We award student bursaries.
* We provide financial support for training and equipment for our Army, Air, Navy, and Sea Cadets.
Our final accounting for 2022 is not complete, but as of Dec. 22, 2022, this year's Poppy Campaign raised in excess of $145,000!. (In 2020, during the Pandemic we raised approximately $109,000.) While COVID restrictions are no longer in place, there was still some hesitancy for many would-be canvassers. But many did!! These funds will go along way in supporting those in need.
Our Poppy Chair since 2020 is our 1st Vice President, Fern Taillefer and our Veterans Service Officer. He was ably assisted by a good number of volunteers both inside and outside the Legion.
Heading up the Campaign Committees were: Michel Cormier (Vice Chair/Treasurer); Ellen Stahls (Secretary/Ass’t Treasurer) .
We were very pleased with the support of many volunteers including the local Cadet Corps that gave us tremendous support. And of course, the Barrie Legion Ladies Auxiliary were “front and centre” with support feeding many hungry volunteers who campaigned across the City.
A large amount of the moneys brought in through the local Poppy Campaign go to assist individual Veterans and Veteran families who need support. In addition, the Barrie Poppy Campaign donates to many local organizations in our community and to specific Legion District, Zone and Provincial initiatives. Some of these donations in 2021 included::
RCL “Poppy” Hospital Fund - $15,000.00; Hospice Simcoe - $20,000; RCL Homeless Veterans - $5,000.00; RCL Charitable Foundation - $5,000; Grey and Simcoe Foresters 2919 Royal Cdn. Army Cadets - $5,000; 102 Barrie “Silver Fox” Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron - $5,000; #53 Barrie Royal Cdn. Sea Cadet Corps - $5,000; Barrie Navy League #24 Chambly Cadets - $5,000; St John Ambulance - $1,000; Royal Cdn. Legion Operation Service Dog - $10,000; Legion District E Hospital Fund - $10,000; Legion Bursary Fund - $5,000; Legion District E Operation “Veteran Build” - $10,000
CATCH THE ACE LOTTERY FOUNDATION
The Barrie Catch the Ace Lottery is an approved Gov’t of Ontario lottery through the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO). Through your generous support of our weekly, CATCH THE ACE Lottery, we have been able to make significant financial contributions to the following organizations:
- Alzheimer Society of Simcoe County; (donation-to-date - $12,500)
- The Barrie Food Bank(donation-to-date - $7,000)
- Canadian Association of Veterans in United Nations Peacekeeping (Central Ontario Chapter); (to-date - $14,500)
- Canadian Mental Health Association, Simcoe County Branch (Barrie); (donation-to-date - $12,500)
- Gilda’s Club Simcoe Muskoka; (donation-to-date - $15,000)
- Hospice Simcoe; (donation- to-date - $11,500)
- Salvation Army - Barrie Chapter (donation-to-date $13,500)
- Special Olympics Ontario (Barrie); (donation-to-date - $13,000)
- Barrie Women and Children’s Shelter (donation-to-date $12,500)